Travel insurance at affordable premiums

What is long stay travel insurance?

There are many types of travel insurance policies targeted towards all different kinds of trips overseas.

If you are planning to go away on a longer-than-average trip, perhaps for a few months or more, a long stay insurance policy may be just what you are looking for.

Here is some more information about this type of policy to help you decide whether it is something that you would like to purchase for your trip.

When might you want to use it?

There are many situations when you may want to use long stay travel insurance, including:

  • gap years;
  • sabbaticals;
  • travelling;
  • backpacking;
  • that round-the-world trip you have been planning for when you retire.

Essentially, any time when you may be out of the country for longer than the average holiday could be a good reason to look into buying a policy for longer trips.

Is this the same as a backpacker policy?

Here's where things can start to get confusing. Different insurers have different names for their policies. So while some insurers may have a backpacker policy that is essentially their long-trip cover, others may have two separate policies.

Sometimes the only difference is in the length of the policies, but sometimes there are more differences. It all depends on the policy, so always read the small print carefully.

How long does it cover you for?

Sometimes long-stay cover can be for any time over a month, but there is usually an upper limit, which may be 18 months, 24 months or longer.

Sometimes a long-stay policy may cover you for up to six months, and a longer policy is called backpacker cover. There are no set rules, which is why it is always a good idea to check with the provider.

The ABTA provides some great advice about going on gap years, which you can read all about here.

Key types of cover included

All policies are different, and if you buy your cover from us at Bengo Travel, it will be different to another long-stay cover. However, typical things include:

  • expenses for medical treatment should you fall ill or have an injury;
  • missed departure;
  • trip cancellation;
  • personal belongings and money.

These are all standard things that are often covered, but one thing that may also be included is cover for working. Some people on long trips work in bars or in other casual jobs to fund their travels, and this may require some extra protection.

There are also more basic and comprehensive policies available. For example, we have 'Last Minute' care, our most basic policy, as well as 'Optimum' and 'Comprehensive' policies. For even more information about long-stay travel insurance, check out our guide.

What activities are covered?

Activities are always something to consider when you go overseas, even if you go on a standard holiday. Because insurers will often have a set list of activities that are covered, these will not usually include anything dangerous. However, you may be able to pay extra to include more activities.

If you go travelling or on a gap year, you may be tempted to try certain thrill-seeking activities. That's all fine, as long as you are covered.

A long-stay policy may include more activities than a standard policy, or you may have to add them on. So always check before you decide to go bungee jumping or skydiving.

Find cover for your trip

Whether or not you invest in travel insurance for your trip overseas is completely up to you. However, just be aware that it is an option, and that different policies are available for different types of trip.

If you are going on a longer trip, you may want to look for a long-stay policy. And if you do decide to invest in it, start looking early and always always ask your insurer if you have any questions.